13.8.12

BIG CITY VS SMALL TOWN LIFE

Vintage photo of kids swinging

Downtown Toronto is the place we call home, and it has been my home for a decade now. I really couldn't imagine living anywhere else. When Monkey came along, our urban life easily adapted as we discovered so many family-focused activities, events and spaces. Then, the summer of violence erupted. I found myself questioning whether it is safe to raise a family in a dense urban centre. My unabashed love of this city faltered.

I was born and raised in Waterloo. Its suburban way of life is a definite contrast to the hustle and bustle of the city. It feels safe to me. I used to ride my bike down to the corner store when I was just seven years old. I shudder to think of Monkey riding his bike in downtown Toronto by himself at that age. Perhaps no parent would allow their child to roam free today as times do change.

The big city affords us new experiences and opportunities every day. Whether it's going to one of the many parks and playgrounds in our neighbourhood, taking in the giraffes at the zoo, cutting and pasting at the AGO, staring at gigantic dinosaurs at the ROM, or just going for a walk and seeing big red fire trucks, there is always something to do.

As the debate between big city versus small town continues in our home, I must remember that Toronto is still considered to be one of the safest urban environments. I love this city. I'm not ready to call the moving company just yet.

(Image)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...