26.5.15

RECIPE: ALMOND FLOUR BREAD

Gluten free, dairy free, yeast free almond bread

I recently found out that I have an overgrowth of candida (yeast) that is playing havoc with my body. My issue was likely caused by antibiotic doses without properly compensating with probiotics to prevent the evil bacteria from overtaking the good.

To beat this beast, I'm following a very restrictive diet that doesn't allow for yeast, sugar, grains, dairy or carbohydrates. The list of foods to avoid is long and daunting. Fruit doesn't even make the cut, which pains me. I was feeling sorry for myself -- although I could eat (homemade) guacamole and hummus, I had nothing to dip or spread it on. Then I found this recipe for almond bread and rejoiced. This bread is dense, filling and perfect for dipping in olive oil or my favourite spreads.

Dry ingredients:
2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour*
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine texture sea salt

Wet ingredients:
4 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons honey (I used 5 drops of Stevia, an organic sweetener to avoid all sugar)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Herbs:
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°FLightly grease a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.

In a food processor, combine the dry ingredients and pulse them until well combined. Add the wet ingredients and mix until well combined, about 20 seconds. Add the fresh herbs and pulse until combined.

Spread the dough into the prepared loaf pan (it will fill it halfway). Bake for 30-35 minutes, until it meets the toothpick test. Let cool in the pan before serving.

Enjoy!

* An alternative is to use 2 cups blanched almond flour and 2 tablespoons coconut flour


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...