So, what does the Mediterranean diet actually mean? The basic premise is as follows:
- Olive oil each day, in salads, drizzled over food
- Nuts, a generous handful a day (combination of walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts)
- Fruits, at least three servings a day
- Vegetables, at least two servings a day
- Fish, at least three times a week
- Legumes, at least three times a week
- Wine, at least seven glasses with meals a week
- Eat white meat (poultry, pork) instead of red meat
- Avoid commercially-packaged sweets
The study was so conclusive that researchers ended the study early (after almost five years) to ensure all participants benefited from the findings. Very interesting, and just one more reason to eat more fish each week!
(The image is one that I took of the beach at Albufeira, Portugal).