1.10.13

BOOK CLUB: THEN WE CAME TO THE END


Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris is my most recent book club read. I was reading it at the doctor's office not too long ago and the nurse took one look at the title and told me it sounded depressing. She was right -- sort of. 

Set in an office environment, it is a black comedy that depicts the life of the average office worker from office gossip and lunchtime routines to coveting the best chair and desperately seeking a promotion. The writing was interesting and I was intrigued with the use of the collective 'we' for the narrator. I usually adore endings that neatly wrap up the story, but for once I was disappointed. For better or for worse, the use of the collective 'we' illustrated how employees become one when working for a company, and to close the loop on the main characters five years later seemed to conflict with the very premise of the story -- at least to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...